With so many different styles of dresses on the market, it can be a struggle to find one that you not only like but that also looks flattering on your unique body type. Picking bridesmaids dresses is much easier when you know what pieces work for your shape. Nobody wants to be stuck in a dress that makes you look unbalanced or is downright unflattering..
First and foremost, it’s important to identify your body shape. The four most common body shapes are hourglass, pear, apple and straight.
Hourglass gals are curvy but evenly proportioned where your bust and hips are balanced with a well defined waist. With an hourglass figure, you should rock your curves and show off your shape! Dresses that nip in at the waistline or have a wrap-style are great for enhancing your hourglass shape.
For Azazie looks, we recommend checking out our Ginger, Iman, Maren and Mikaela (pictured below).
If your waist is undefined and the widest part of your frame, you’re an apple shape! Ladies with an apple body shape should aim to draw attention away from the midsection and stray away from top-heavy looks. Fit-and-flare dresses and plunging V’s will help you create a more defined waist.
Try our Arabella (pictured below), Jessica and Heloise they’re the best for apple shaped bodies.
Photo Credit: Emily Katharine Photography
With the pear body type your hips are larger than the bust and you’ve got a defined waist that slopes out into your hips. Stray away from materials that look poofy, such as tulle or organza to avoid being swallowed up in the fabrics. Aim for dresses in soft, flowy chiffon that graze your lower half to help emphasize and add volume to your upper body. Cap sleeves, boat necks and off the shoulder dresses are great here to balance out your body’s shape and draw attention off the hips.
For our pear shaped gals, the Kaitlynn (pictured below), Cherish and Clara are great fits!
Photo Credit: Ashley Noelle Photography
Our straight shaped ladies have balanced hips, bust and the waist is not very defined. Strapless or one-shoulder dresses will allow you to draw attention to and show off those amazing shoulders of yours! The empire waist and more form-fitting dresses will help give a more curvaceous appearance.
Take a peek at our Kaleigh, Kailyn (pictured below) and Betty for straight flattering styles.
Besides these basic body shape tips, here are some other great pieces of advice to keep in mind when shopping.
- Busty gals should look for dresses that are not draped at the top but instead pleated, avoiding dresses that are too low cut or have a keyhole as they draw attention to the bust area. The illusion neckline is perfect for ladies that have a bigger bust but don’t prefer strapless dresses. You get the sexiness of a strapless dress with more coverage!
- In general, long gowns are good for elongating your legs, which works best for taller women.
- The tea length works better if you’re shorter but can be a difficult length for a lot of women to pull off, as it draws attention to the calves
- The knee length dress is a more universal length that would look great on a bridal party of all different heights.
- The knee-length strapless dress is the most universally flattering dress, regardless of body shape.
If you’re looking for some dresses that could work well on your whole bridal party, regardless of body shape, we recommend the Yazmin (pictured below), Grace, and Ashley!
Featured Image: Wayne + Angela Photographers